The chat plays a substantial role in the Smashcast social experience, as it allows you to interact with the broadcasters and fellow community members.
To participate you must sign-in to your Smashcast account.
Clicking on an username in chat triggers an overlay, depending on whether you are an BROADCASTER, a MODERATOR or a VIEWER.
By clicking on a username in the chat you can visit the user’s channel.
You have the option to:
- @Mention (Mention a user in the chat. There is a chat shortcut for this as well, start typing someone’s username after an “@” and press tab to autofill the rest of the username or tab between similar usernames. This only works for individuals who are in the viewer list.)
- Ignore (Ignore all messages from that user on Smashcast chats.)
- Timeout (= 10 Minute Ban)
- Ban a User (permanent until unbanned. Can be unbanned through the chat ban list.)
- Make moderator
- IP Ban (Bans the user’s IP address from your chat.)
A Moderator has basically the same options as an admin but without the authorisation to make moderators and IP ban.
Viewers only have the option to ignore other users and to mention other users.
You can access the chat settings simply by clicking on the cog-wheel in the top-right corner
-Choose a color for your username in chat
-Increase / decrease the font size
-Enable images and gifs to auto-embed in the chat
-Choose between compact and normal mode
compact mode puts their message beside their username
normal mode puts their message below their username
-Popout the chat in a new Window
Moderator Options (Broadcaster and Moderator only)
Broadcasters and Moderators can set a time limit on how often a viewer is allowed to send chat messages. They can also modify the word blacklist in chat. The blacklist disables any user messages going through containing said words (disables whole message and notifies user).
In the viewer list you can see who you currently have ignored in that chat, who is banned (if you are the broadcaster), and see how many guests and registered users there are in the chat.
You can also search for a specific user with the Search bar at the top, just be sure to press the ‘X’ after you’re done to show all users again.